Paulding FFA Members Place Top 10 in the State!

Pictured here (l-r) is Jordyn Merriman with her 7th place plaque for equine and Kalyn Strahley with her 1st place Oral Reasons plaque and 6th place poultry plaque.

By: Sydney Reineck, Paulding FFA Reporter

The Paulding FFA had their poultry team compete at the state FFA Finals in Columbus and one individual compete in the equine finals. The poultry team was made up of Kalyn Strahley, Shannon Hale, Kaylie Tressler and Miah Rue, and they placed 10th in the state at finals. The FFA had two members who placed in the top ten as  individuals: Kalyn Strahley and Jordyn Merriman. They competed Friday, April 27th at the Ohio State Fairgrounds and OSU campus. Jordyn had to judge a performance class and a halter class and give oral reasons to a judge based on her placings. When asked why she enjoyed judging equine, she stated, “I  enjoyed the experience and I hope it will help me in my future career, potentially as an equine judge.” Jordyn placed 7th overall in the state. Kalyn had to judge a carcass class and live hens class along with giving oral reasons. When asked why she enjoyed judging poultry, she stated, “I got my start in the agriculture industry as a young 4-H member that exhibited poultry at the county fair, as I grew up my passion for poultry started to fade, until I joined the Paulding FFA Chapter. With a little encouragement from some older chapter members, I began judging poultry. This reignited my passion for the poultry industry.” Kalyn placed 6th overall in the state and got 1st in the state for her oral reasons. Both of the girls enjoy judging poultry and equine, and are excited for the next judging season. Great job to all member who represented Paulding FFA at the state finals.