RAIDERS GO FOR WIN BUT COME UP EMPTY

PICTURE: Wayne Trace’s Tucker Antoine managed get past the Bulldog defense and take the ball to the goal line, scoring for the Raiders in the third quarter! More pictures at westbendnews.net

By: Joe Shouse, Sports Writer

HAVILAND – A Wayne Trace two-point conversion attempt with just 22-seconds remaining came up short resulting in a 21-20 set-back last Friday night. The Raiders were looking to pin the first loss on Edgerton but to no avail. With the final going the Bulldog’s way, they move their season mark to 4-0, 1-0, while the red, white and blue fall to 1-3, 0-1. 

The Raiders entered the second half trailing 21-7 but their defense did their job by holding the Bulldogs scoreless after intermission. In the third quarter both teams struggled offensively but at the 2:06 mark the Raiders would strike. A Cole Morehead pass delivered to Tucker Antoine covered 34-yards into the end- one to put the Raiders withing striking distance — trailing 21-14

In the final stanza following an Edgerton possession that stalled at the Raider eight-yard line the Raiders would take over; 92-yards from a potential touchdown. Morehead went to work, electing to go to the air, the sophomore converted several passes as he guided his squad down the field. A big boast came when the signal caller teamed up with receiver Cale Winans on a pass that covered 50-yards to place the ball at the 10-yard line and the Raiders having a chance.  Morehead, after two incompletions, spotted Derrek Dangler open for a five-yard TD toss with just 22-seconds showing on the clock and the Raiders trailing by one 21-20. Electing to go for two and the win, the Raider quarterback was sacked in the backfield ending the Raiders bid for a come-from-behind win.

Mistakes and turnovers have plagued the Raider’s play the last couple of games and it carried over to Friday night. Interceptions, fumbles and too many penalties were costly throughout the contest. Although they didn’t lose any, the Raiders recorded three fumbles along with three interceptions while being penalized on eight occasions.

Edgerton proved they were worthy of their successful, early season start at 4-0 with an opening drive that delivered their first score. The Bulldogs covered 72-yards of real estate with the help of two Raider penalties. Bulldog QB Corey Everetts powered his way into the end-zone from two-yards out to put Edgerton on the board. The extra point was successful to but the visitors on top 7-0.

With time remaining in the opening frame the Raiders would steal the momentum and literally the ball on a fumble recovery by Tucker Antoine. Starting their drive at the 32-yard line, the Raiders needed just two-plays, a Kyle Stoller pass to Jude Stoller covering 19-yards and a 13-yard Cole Morehead burst into the end-zone. The Ezra Sinn extra point was solid to knot the score at seven a piece to end the first quarter.

Edgerton managed to find the end zone on a couple of occasions in the second quarter.  Everetts guided his squad on an impressive 80-yard drive that included a 58-yard touchdown by Owen Roth. The extra point attempt was good and the Bulldogs enjoyed a 14-7 advantage.

Prior to halftime and the Raiders moving the ball offensively, another costly turnover stopped the Raider drive. Kadyn Picillo came up with the big interception to give the ball back to Edgerton at the 40-yard line. Needing just three plays to cover the 40-yards including a 31-yard connection from Everetts to Scottie Krontz to rest the ball at the four-yard line. Everetts capitalized on the earlier Raider mistake as he maneuvered his way into the end zone for the score and the 21-7 Edgerton halftime advantage.

Everetts collected 72 rushing yards on 26 carries and 10-19 passing for 120-yards. Roth collected 72-yards on the ground on four attempts. For the Raiders Morehead rushed for 80 yards on 16 totes while colling 155-yards through the air on 12-21. Antoine recorded nine grabs for 89-yards.

Wayne Trace will be on the road as they travel to Hicksville while Edgerton looks to remain unbeaten when Ayersville comes calling.