Woodlan Snaps Losing Streak With Win Over Raiders

Wayne Trace’s Morgan Hefner spikes the ball while Reagan Salzbrenner from Woodlan attempts to block the attack. More pictures at westbendnews.net

By: Joe Shouse, Sports Writer

HAVILAND – Entering their volleyball match with Woodlan (Indiana) last Monday, the Wayne Trace Raiders were looking to put the skids on a two-game losing streak. The Raiders had won four in a row before dropping matches to Tinora and Crestview. The Warriors, who were sporting a three-game losing streak with set backs to Fort Wayne Luers, Leo, and Jay County, was also looking for a much needed win.

The Warriors made the most of their cross-state rival and defeated the Raiders in three sets 25-23, 25-23, 25-13 and returning to the Hoosier state with a hard fought win.

“We have played some very good teams from the Fort Wayne area lately and we knew we had to regroup in order come out on top tonight,” said Warrior Head Coach DeWayne Stutman.

The Lady Warriors came out a little tentative in the early going, trailing the red-white-and-blue 7-3 and 12-8 before they started turning things around. A block by Evelyn Shipley knotted the score at 13 a piece and both teams went back and forth from that point. Woodlan managed a three-point margin on a couple of occasions abd eventually stretched it by four at 24-21 before taking the two-point first set win.

“We are a young team. We have no seniors and so we are still learning the game. It took a while but I thought we player really well together,” said Stutzman.

In game two both teams gave it their best shot but neither squad to gain much of a lead. With the score at 10 a piece the Raiders started to pull away and following a kill by Meagan Speice and a block by Alli Hefner, the Raiders enjoyed a 19-14 advantage, forcing a Woodlan timeout.

In the timeout Coach Stutzman simply told his team that they need five points and they responded. Out of the TO the Warriors outscored the home team Raiders 7-0 to take the lead 21-19, a lead they would not relinquish. 

On the sidelines following the disappointing lose, Wayne Trace Head Coach Angie Speice had little to say.

“Tonight we had no energy and we were out of sync. It simply wasn’t our normal game and we had a hard time adjusting to their (Woodlan) style,” Commented Speice.

After dropping the first two games by identical scores the Raiders struggled in the final game. Trailing by nine at 12-3 Speice called timeout in order to rally her troops but it was not going to happen as the Raiders fell 25-13.

“Sometimes you have games like this. The girls are a little frustrated right now but they are a good group and I believe they will rebound. We still have a lot of volleyball left to play. The lose buts the Raiders at 4-4 while Woodlan improves to 11-8.

For Woodlan, several players stepped up their game with junior Addison Bayman leading the way with 11 kills, 4 blocks, 7 assists and 15 digs in a solid performance. Sophomore Katie Chin added 23 digs with freshman team mate Myah VanCamp coming up with 20 digs. 

“I also thought freshman Reagan Salzbrenner had an outstanding night with her play put front . She played very well above the net,” Coach Stutzman said.

The Lady Raiders were led by the play of Kaylee Shepherd with 8 assists, 7 digs and 9-9 serving. Olivia Egnor totaled 10 digs with Miriam Sinn adding 8 digs and 4 assists. 

Alli Hefner collected 10 kills, 7 digs and 5 blocks for her steady play at the net. In the serving department Sadie Sinn was 14-14 with one ace along with 19 digs. Brooke Greulach was 13-14 serving with three aces.

In the junior varsity match the young Raiders lost 26-21, 25-17, 25-17.